London, May 11: FIFA has tried to mount a damage-limitation exercise after former Football Association (FA) Chairman Lord Triesman claimed that four members of football’s world governing body sought bribes in the run-up to England’s defeat in the race to host the 2018 World Cup.
Triesman had told a British parliamentary committee that there had been “improper and unethical” behaviour by four FIFA executive committee (ExCo) members including asking for money and a knighthood when he was lobbying for England.
However, FIFA’s Secretary General Jerome Valcke has questioned why Lord Triesman did not bring the allegations to the world governing body before.
“It could have been said before. If it was known, why did it not come to our attention? Why were we not informed?” The Telegraph quoted Valcke, as saying.
Two FIFA members, Amos Adamu from Nigeria and Reynald Temarii from Tahiti, were banned by the body’s ethics committee last year for involvement in a corruption scandal.
Adamu received a three-year ban and 6,341 pounds fine after being found guilty of breaching bribery rules, while Temarii was suspended for a year and fined 3,170 pounds for breaching rules on loyalty and confidentiality.
The two men did not take part in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup votes on December 2. (ANI)