Chandigarh, June 28: A patient, who was being revived with electric shocks at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) here, suffered burns after a short circuit led to his stretcher catching fire, police said Tuesday. A probe has been ordered.
The incident took place around 11 p.m. Monday in the recovery room of the hospital’s emergency ward. PGIMER sources said the doctors on duty were trying to revive 55-year-old Jinder Singh from Ludhiana with electric shocks.
‘It was a freak accident. The PGIMER has constituted a committee to look into this incident. We will find out the reason behind this and make sure that such an incident is not repeated,’ PGIMER spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar told IANS.
Jinder Singh’s family alleged he died due to the fire but hospital sources said he was already dead when doctors were trying to revive him. After the failed attempt to save him, he was declared dead.
‘A short circuit took place in the equipment and the bedding on the stretcher caught fire,’ a security guard at the emergency wing told IANS.
‘We are investigating the matter. We have collected evidence from the spot. No case has been registered so far,’ Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Des Raj told IANS.
Annoyed family members protested outside the emergency ward, charging the PGIMER doctors and staff with negligence. Some family members alleged that there was a short circuit in the ventilator machine. However, hospital sources said it took place in the equipment used for giving electric shocks to revive the patient.
Jinder Singh was brought here from Doraha town near Ludhiana, 120 km from here, by his family members recently, with a serious liver problem. He had undergone surgery Saturday but his condition worsened later.