Canberra, Aug 4: Racial vilification has struck Australian football again, with a schoolboy footballer being racially abused by an opposition supporter during a grand final between two privately-run schools.
Eighteen-year-old Nathan Kazuro, vice-captain of Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School’s football team, was abused during the prestigious Associated Grammar Schools of Victoria decider against Trinity Grammar last week.
The slur reportedly came from a Trinity boy.
Kazuro heard the slur once and his mother, of Sri Lankan origin, and sister, heard it several times, the Herald Sun reports.
Penleigh School principal Tony Larkin condemned the incident and called it ‘disturbing’.
“The school’s view is clear: there is no place for this in any sport, but especially school sport. It was a day of great celebration for him and it clearly would have marred the day,” he said.
Trinity head Richard Tudor said the school had launched an investigation to find the supporter.
“I am embarrassed because we do respect and support many, many people from different communities around the world and that is part of our school philosophy,” he said.
“This is totally opposed to anything we have ever done in the school,” he added.
Meanwhile, apology letters to Larkin and Kazuro from the Trinity school captain on behalf of the school community have been accepted.
Last month, a ten-year-old boy allegedly racially abused a schoolboy by using the ‘n-word’ while the two were playing under-12s football in Geelong. (ANI)