China sacks officials for lapse

Beijing, Oct 18: Three officials have been sacked over a colliery flooding that left 13 miners missing in northeast China last week, authorities said Tuesday.

Zhang Guangyun, deputy head of Jidong county in Heilongjiang province, and two mining officials, were removed from their posts in connection with the Oct 11 flooding at the Jindi Coal Mine, said Cong Xiangrong, an official.

The flooding occurred while 24 miners were working underground. Eleven of them managed to escape.

By Saturday, rescuers reported no sign of life of the remaining 13 miners trapped underground, reported Xinhua.

IANS