Probe into funds for anti-Kudankulam agitators

Chennai, Nov 12: With the agitation against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) continuing for nearly three months, the central government has ordered a probe into the source of the protesters’ funds, Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy said Saturday.

Speaking to reporters at Tiruchendur, around 600 km from Chennai, Saturday, Narayanasamy said the protest in on for nearly three months but it is not known how it is being financed, thus a detailed probe is on.

‘Central and state governments have more concern in protecting the people. The agitators are spreading canards about the project,’ he added.

India’s nuclear power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is building two 1,000 MW nuclear power reactors with Russian technology and equipment in Kudankulam, around 650 km from Chennai.

The project work has however come to a standstill since last month as the agitators intensified their protest by blocking roads leading to the nuclear power project site.

The agitation is led by People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE).

The villagers fear for their lives and safety in case of any nuclear accident and the long-term impact it would have on the population.

According to Narayanasamy, the central government appointed expert committee is preparing the answers for six important questions raised by the protesters and will be provided to them in a week’s time.

The first unit was expected to go on stream in December. The project is estimated to cost around Rs.13,160 crore.

IANS