Russia calls for restraint when sentencing Mubarak

Moscow, Jan 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian foreign ministry has said it was concerned about calls by the prosecutor at the trial of Egypt’s Hosni Mubarak to sentence the former president to death by hanging.

The trial of the former president, his two sons and a number of former heads of law enforcement agencies in Cairo, Egypt, resumed last week.

‘The judicial review in Cairo continues. However, such messages are met with concern in Moscow. We realise that we are talking about the internal affairs of an ally and friend, Egypt, but we hope that the final decisions will be made in accordance with the standards of international law,’ the Russian foreign ministry said.

‘We hope Mubarak’s old age, 83 years, and ill health will be taken into account. Furthermore, he chose to relinquish power to avoid additional casualties among innocent people,’ the ministry said.

Mubarak is accused of ordering the shooting of peaceful protesters during the uprising in early 2011. About 850 people were killed and several thousands were injured.

–IANS/RIA Novosti

pm

IANS