New Delhi, Feb 1: Congress leader P.L Punia on Wednesday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is guilty of human slaughter and action should be taken against him.
“It is true that no one can forget that the atrocities on Muslims and their massacre were done on whose commands. Can Narendra Modi or the locals forget it? Narendra Modi is guilty of human-slaughter and action should immediately be taken against him,” Punia told media here, hours after the Gujarat High Court said that there was no need for Modi to depose before the Nanavati-Mehta panel probing the 2002 riots case.
Echoing similar sentiment, Congress leader Harish Rawat said Modi should be punished for his alleged involvement in the riots.
“It seems that Narendra Modi will have to bear the punishment for his wrongdoings, wrong decisions and wrong mentality. I have full faith in India’s judicial system and very soon he will be punished,” Punia added.
Meanwhile defending Modi, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Balbir Punj said opposition parties are trying to implicate him falsely.
“We know that in order to nail and implicate Narendra Modi, affidavits have been tampered, false witnesses have been brought. All this is done to tarnish Modi’s image and to entrap him in legal procedures. They want that the good work that Modi is doing for the 60 million people of Gujarat is not done,” Punj added.
“High Court’s judgment is a slap on the faces of those people who have been witch-hunting India’s best Chief Minister Narendra Modi. He has given an example through his work and through his wonderful leadership that how a state can be developed and turned into a model state for the rest of the country,” added BJP leader Tarun Vijay.
The Gujarat High Court had earlier in the day rejected a petition seeking a deposition by Modi before the Nanavati-Mehta commission.
“Narendra Modi does not need to depose before the commission,” the high court said in its ruling on the petition of NGO Jan Sangharsh Manch that is representing riot victims.
The petition was filed after the Nanavati-Mehta Commission rejected its application seeking Modi’s deposition. The NGO said it will now move the Supreme Court. (ANI)