North Korea says its planned rocket launch not an ‘act of aggression’

Beijing, April 11: China has renewed its call for moderation after North Korea had earlier made it clear that its planned rocket launch is not an act of aggression.

Experts claim that the Pyongyang’s message delivered during a rare news briefing with foreign journalists reflected its intent to bring down tension, and engage more with the international community.

China has urged parties involved to remain calm and abide by international law and prevent further tension on the Korean Peninsula, according to Liu Weimin, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson.

North Korea last month had announced its plans to launch the Kwangmyongsong-3, an Earth observation satellite, to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of their founder Kim Il-sung.

The US and its allies have claimed that the rocket launch would be disguised as a long-range ballistic missile test, which breaches the UN Security Council resolution that prohibits North Korea from conducting launches that use ballistic missile technology.

However, the North Korea’s Committee for Space Technology said that launch was a peaceful program to develop the economy and raise living standards.

“It is a carrier rocket but not a ballistic missile .The rocket is equipped with a self-destruct system and will not affect other countries,” The China Daily quoted, the deputy director of the committee’s space development department, Ryu Gum-chol, as saying.

He further added that the date of launch has not been set as preparations were still underway.

However, the US and its allies said they were still concerned. (ANI)