Washington, May 9: Former U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan, whose six-point peace plan is being monitored by a team of United Nations observers in Syria, has admitted that torture by Syrian forces was worsening despite the month-long ceasefire in the country.
He said that the arrests of activists and the continuous violation of human rights also resulted in the worsening situation in Syria, The Telegraph reports.
Annan told the Security Council that a reduction in military operations was not meaningful if it was replaced by other forms of violence.
Annan said there is a possibility that Syria would descend into full-scale civil war, despite the peace plan, adding that there could be an increase in the government repression.
The International Committee for the Red Cross had earlier said that a civil war had already broken in parts of the country, notably Homs and Idlib.
Diplomats who attended the briefing reported him that they were particularly concerned that torture, mass arrests and other human rights violations were “intensifying”.
According to the figures provided by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the death toll in Syria, almost 12,000 people had died in total, of whom 8,515 were civilians, 2,690 were soldiers and 720 were soldiers who had defected to the rebels.
UN observers in Syria said that both the government and the opposition were still regularly breaching the peace plans, adding that the Syrian Government has failed to fulfill several of its commitments under the plan
There is no sign that either Russia or China are ready for tougher action against Assad, nor that the rebels or their spokesmen abroad in the Syrian National Council are willing to accept Assad continuing in power. (ANI)