Islamabad, May 10: US Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter has denied meeting Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed.
The US embassy Wednesday categorically rejected an article in a national daily that claimed a meeting between Munter and Hafiz Saeed, who heads Jamaat ud Dawa, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
An embassy statement said: “Ambassador Munter has never met with Hafiz Saeed.”
“No US official has made any promises to, or agreements with Hafiz Saeed,” the embassy added.
Hafiz Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, is accused of masterminding the Mumbai terror attack, in which six US citizens were killed.
The US last month announced an award of up to $10 million for information leading to arrest and conviction of Saeed and $2 million for Hafiz Adbul Rahman Makki, under the Rewards for Justice programme, for information on the two terrorists.
Ten terrorists from Pakistan sneaked into Mumbai in November 2008 and let loose a reign of terror over three days that saw 166 people, including foreigners, being killed. One of the attackers, Ajmal Amir Kasab, was arrested.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, during her three-day trip to India, accused Pakistan of not taking “steps which India and US have been repeatedly” requesting in this regard.
“You have to go after those who are trying to kill you. We have announced a $10 million bounty on the Mumbai attacks mastermind Hafiz Saeed. We want all those involved in the attack be brought to justice,” said Clinton Monday in New Delhi.