Taliban denies carrying out poison attacks on girls’ schools in Afghanistan

Kabul, May 28: The Taliban has denied carrying out the poison attacks on a girls’ school in Afghanistan, which sickened over 100 people.

In last week’s incident, about 125 people at Bibi Haji school, in north-east Takhar province, were taken to hospital after complaining of nausea, headaches and dizziness. They included female teachers and girls as young as ten.

Police said poisonous chemicals might have been sprayed in the classrooms.

According to the BBC, a Taliban spokesman said that they condemned any such attack and would punish anyone who carried them out ‘in line with Sharia law’.

“The Mujahideen of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (Taliban) are not involved in these incidents and we totally reject such allegations,” the report quoted Zabihullah Mujahid, as saying.

“The fact that schools are being set ablaze or bombed, this could be the work of an individual, but we promise if we find the perpetrators of such incidents we surely will punish them,” he added.

According to the report, over the past month, two schools have also been set ablaze in the east of the country.

The Afghan education ministry recently blamed the Taliban for the closures of over 500 schools in 11 provinces where they had strong support. (ANI)