Lucknow, Oct 20: More than two dozen people fell ill in three districts of western Uttar Pradesh Saturday after consuming adulterated ‘Kuttu Ka Atta’ during fasting for Navaratri, officials said.
The people who were taken ill belonged to Bulandshahr, Meerut and Muzaffarnagar.
“Three members of a family have fallen ill in Bulandshahr while 11 people of two families fell ill after consuming the flour in Khurja,” a home department official told IANS.
Complaints of people falling sick have also been received from the Civil Lines area, Teachers Colony in Muzaffarnagar and Brahmapur area of Meerut, police said.
Following the incident, the district administration in all the three districts banned the sale of the particular brand which resulted in food poisoning of over two dozen people.
District officials in all the three places rushed the ill to medical facilities and have begun seizures at shops where the flour was being sold.
“Samples of the flour have been seized and sent for checking. Further sale of the brand of flour has been banned with immediate effect,” the officials further informed.