Johannesburg, Oct 10(ANI): The SA Cricketers’ Association (SACA) has slammed the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for accusing Proteas players of trapping controversial batsman Kevin Pietersen into sending provocative text messages to them regarding former Test captain Andrew Strauss and has demanded an apology from the ECB.
ECB chief executive David Collier had earlier claimed in a radio interview on Sunday that there had been a deliberate policy from the Proteas to entrap Pietersen.
Proteas Test captain Graeme Smith has also strongly denied recent suggestions that he or his team deliberately provoked Pietersen to send them provocative text messages.
“In the Proteas we pride ourselves on being a sporting and ethical team. We talk a lot about values and our approach to the game. We play hard but we play fair and any suggestions that we did this as a tactic is totally unwarranted and unnecessary,” Sports24 quoted Smith, as saying in a statement released by SACA.
SACA chief executive Tony Irish said that both he and the national players are expecting an apology from Collier for his comments.
“Our players are angered by David Collier’s claims that they employed unfair and unsporting tactics against Kevin,” said Irish.
“By his own admission Mr Collier never saw any text messages, or correspondence, and we know that Kevin himself has never suggested that he was provoked, so where is the evidence for this claim?” he added.
“In international cricket if a player makes an inflammatory comment or accusation he gets punished. Look what happened to Kevin Pietersen himself. The players believe that the same should apply to administrators especially when this is done publicly. Our players are awaiting an apology,” he said. (ANI)