Panaji, Oct 9: Nearly 100 mining companies in Goa, indicted in the Justice M.B. Shah Commission report, have been issued notice by the state government for encroachment and other violations.
A senior official of the Goa mining and geology department said the mining companies had been asked to respond to the notices by Oct 22.
“All the 100 and above mining companies referred to the report have been issued notices today,” the official, who did not want to be named, said.
The report has named nearly all mining companies in Goa — from Vedanta Resources-owned Sesa Goa to firms of Goa-based families Timblos, Salgoncars and Chowgules — for encroachment, over-exploitation of resources and violation of pollution and environment norms, etc.
The report, which was tabled in parliament last month, has pegged Goa’s mining scam at Rs.35,000 crore and held responsible a nexus of politicians, bureaucrats and mining companies for the illegalities.