Kuala Lumpur, Dec 10: Foreign tourists in Malaysia have expressed concerns over the recent action taken against non-Muslims for alleged indecent behaviour in the state of Kelantan.
Tourism Minister Dr Ng Yen Yen said tourists, especially those from China and Taiwan, had voiced their concern to the ministry over the matter.
“Such policy of issuing summonses on khalwat’ should not be implemented on non-Muslims,” the Star quoted Dr Yen, as saying.
“Furthermore, what did they do wrong as they were together at the plane spotting area near Sultan Ismail Petra Airport, which is an open public area,” she added.
According to the report, two men on a plane-spotting outing near the Sultan Ismail Petra Airport and a teenage couple in Tengku Anis Park were issued with summonses in October and last month respectively.
The summonses were for “indecent behaviour”, but the four have denied any wrongdoing, claiming instead that the municipal council’s enforcement officers “were merely abusing their position”.
Dr Yen said the cases proved that the Islamic rules imposed by the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party were now affecting non-Muslims. (ANI)