Chicago, Jan 19: US authorities have exhumed the body of an Indian-American million dollar lottery winner who died last July just a day after he was issued a cheque for about $425,000 after taxes.
Initially, doctors ruled that 46-year-old Urooj Khan died of natural causes. But a week later, an unnamed relative called the medical examiner’s office. Toxicology results of a second examination showed he died of cyanide poisoning.
An autopsy was performed Friday on the exhumed body of Hyderabad born Khan, who ran a dry cleaning business in Chicago, Dr. Stephen Cina, Cook County medical examiner, told reporters.
It will take a few weeks for testing results and he could not predict the results, he said. Cyanide can evaporate after death, and it’s possible it may not be present, he was quoted as saying by CNN.
Cina said Friday, “We’ve already determined it was a homicide, and nothing we’ve seen today would change that.”
Chicago police is investigating the July death of Khan as a murder. He won the lotteryplaying a scratch-off game a month earlier.
On the day he died, Khan’s wife said she made dinner at home and then he went to bed. A little less than an hour later, his screams of agony woke her up. His family rushed him to a hospital, but it was too late.