Cairo, Feb 10: A court in Cairo has ordered the government to block access to the YouTube website for 30 days for carrying an anti-Islam film that caused deadly riots across the world.
The ruling can, however, be appealed and based on precedent may not be enforced.
According to news24, Judge Hassouna Tawfiq ordered that YouTube be blocked for carrying a 14-minute trailer for the movie ‘Innocence of Muslims’.
The movie portrays Islam’s central figure Prophet Muhammad as a religious fraud, womaniser and pedophile.
The film, which was produced by an Egyptian-born Christian who is now a US citizen, sparked deadly protests that killed more than 50 people in more than 20 countries last year, the report said.
YouTube’s parent company, Google, declined to remove the video from the website last year, but restricted access to it in certain countries, including Egypt, Libya and Indonesia, because it said that the video broke laws in those countries, the report said.
Lawyer Mohammed Hamid Salim, who filed the lawsuit in Cairo, alleged the film constitutes a threat to Egypt’s security, it added. (ANI)