London, Feb 23: The former deputy editor at the now-defunct British tabloid News of the World (NoTW) will not face any charges regarding phone hacking.
Crown Prosecution Service said that Neil Wallis would not face prosecution because there was insufficient evidence.
He was arrested in 2011 on suspicion of intercepting communications.
According to the BBC, Wallis tweeted ‘after 21 months of hell for my family, CPS have just told my solicitors that there will be no prosecution of me.’
Wallis’s solicitor, Phil Smith, said his client had been “subjected to a terrible ordeal” since his arrest at dawn in July 2011.
According to the report, so far, 26 people have been arrested as part of Operation Weeting, the Metropolitan Police’s investigation into illegal accessing of voicemails.
Eight people, including former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, the prime minister’s former spokesman, are facing a total of 19 charges relating to phone hacking.
The phone-hacking allegations led to the closure of the NoTW in July 2011 and the establishment of the Leveson Inquiry into press ethics. (ANI)