New Delhi, Feb 22: Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla on Friday ruled out the shifting of the second test match to be played between India and Australia in Hyderabad to some other venue, saying BCCI President N. Srinivasan is aware of the need to ensure adequate security for both players and spectators.
Shukla said that Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh, who was in Hyderabad, briefed him about the latest developments after holding discussions with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy and other officials of the state government.
“After the BCCI President spoke to me, I had spoken to Union Home Secretary who was in Hyderabad and had discussions with the Chief Minister and officials of the state government. And after that, he apprised me that adequate security would be provided to the players as well as the spectators and everybody at Hyderabad. So, the test match should not be shifted out of Hyderabad,” Shukla told media outside the Parliament here.
“And after taking this view, I have conveyed this to the BCCI President who in turn is going to speak to the Chairman of Cricket Australia to convey that when the government is giving the guarantee of safety and security of the players and spectators, I think we should not change the venue,” he added.
Cricket Australia has raised serious concerns over the match that is to be played at Hyderabad in wake of the twin blasts that took place in the city last evening.
Hyderabad, which is scheduled to host the match from March 2, was on Thursday rocked by two bomb blasts, which have so far claimed 14 lives.
India is hosting Australia in a four Test series. The Hyderabad Test match commences from March 2. (ANI)