New Delhi, Feb 22: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led opposition today targeted Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde for giving a delayed response to the Parliament on the Hyderabad blasts.
There was chaos inside the Rajya Sabha today as Shinde briefed the house over the twin bomb blasts that rocked Hyderabad last evening.
Condemning the Hyderabad blasts, Shinde said the government is committed to curb such terror attacks.
Shinde further said the situation is under control.
Meanwhile, senior BJP leader M. Venkaiah Naidu accused the government of treating the entire incident in a casual manner, and demanded a discussion on the issue in a threadbare manner.
The Union Home Minister visited the twin bomb blasts site at Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad, earlier this morning even as the toll in the attack rose to 16.
Shinde, who reached Hyderabad by a special flight Friday morning, drove straight to Dilsukhnagar and went around the blast site.
Speaking to reporters, he said 16 people were killed in the blast and 110 were injured, six of them critically.
“Investigation has begun and the state government has appointed a probe team,” he said.
Shinde, accompanied by Andhra Pradesh Governor E S L Narasimhan, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and Union Home Secretary R K Singh, later visited some hospitals where the injured persons were undergoing treatment.
Two powerful near simultaneous blasts had ripped through a crowded area close to a cluster of bus stands in Dilsukhnagar area on Thursday.
The blasts triggered by Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) tied to two bicycles took place at two sites 100 metres apart outside a roadside eatery near Konark and Venkatadiri theatres in the area located on the Hyderabad-Vijaywada national highway in Cyberabad police limits. (ANI)