The Hague, Feb 26: Steve McClaren has quit FC Twente with immediate effect following disappointing results in this season, the Dutch football club said Tuesday.
The 51-year-old English coach handed in his contract which ran until 2014. McClaren had returned to Twente in January 2012.
After a disappointing sixth place last season, Twente are currently running fifth. They lost 1-2 to SC Heerenveen Saturday, Xinhua reports.
“After the defeat to Heerenveen the board of FC Twente and I tried to find a solution to the difficult period the team has been going through,” McClaren said on the club’ s website. “We talked about the expectations of the club, how European qualification was key each season and finishing in the top 4.”
“Despite being joint top at the winter break and second four weeks ago, recent results and performances have seen criticism, protest and demonstration from both supporters and the media,” he added.
“Saturday’s result has seen further adverse reactions and with two home games coming up we feel the team needs the support and backing from the supporters.”
“I also needed assurances about my position both now and in the future which I know in the present situation is difficult,” McClaren said.
“After much discussion and deliberation those assurances weren’ t forthcoming and we have agreed it’s in the best interest of the club that I leave. We agree the club is bigger than any one individual and Twente is too big in my heart to stand in the way of its progress.”
McClaren already coached Twente between 2008 and 2010 and in his last year he led the club to their first top league title. McClaren also worked as coach of Nottingham Forest, Middlesbrough, VfL Wolfsburg and England.
His assistants Alfred Schreuder, Boudewijn Pahlplatz and Youri Mulder will provisionally take over his coaching job at Twente. A permanent successor might be appointed in due course.