New Delhi, Aug. 25: In a first for the Monsoon Session, the Lok Sabha has passed three important bills, including a bill related to giving additional benefits to the retired governors.
These three bills were passed yesterday on the 12th day of the Monsoon Session, which saw the Lok Sabha work continuously from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. after choosing to skip the lunch hour.
The Lok Sabha passed the following bills:
1. Governors (Emoluments, Allowances and Privileges) Amendment Bill, 2012
The bill seeks to amend the Governors (Emoluments, Allowances and Privileges) Act, 1982. Under the Act, each Governor is entitled to an emolument of Rs 1, 10, 000 per month. Ex-Governors are entitled only to medical benefits. The bill seeks to provide certain other pension and post-retirement benefits to ex-Governors. The Bill amends the Act to provide that the ex-Governor shall be entitled to one personal assistant for the rest of his life.
2. The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2012
The bill is amending the Scheduled Castes Order, 1950 to insert certain groups as Scheduled Castes in the states of Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Tripura as well as to omit Entry 3 of the Schedule to the Constitution (Sikkim) Scheduled Castes Order, 1978.
3. Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Second Amendment) Bill, 2012
The bill is amending the Schedule of the 1950 Order to include certain groups as Scheduled Tribes. The ‘Marati’ community is being re-included in the list of Scheduled Tribes in Kerala. Scheduled Tribe status is being granted to the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups namely ‘Abujh Maria’ and ‘Hill Korwa’ in the list of Scheduled Tribes in Chhattisgarh.
The legislative agenda for the Lok Sabha for the week starting Monday is the following:
1. Legislative business pending from today. This includes:
a) Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill, 2012
b) Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Amendment) Bill, 2011
2. Further discussion on the Statutory Resolution seeking disapproval of the National Food Security Ordinance, 2013 and further consideration and passing of the National Food Security Bill, 2013
3. Discussion on the Statutory Resolutions seeking disapproval of the following Ordinances and consideration and passing of the Bills related to these Ordinances:
(a) The Securities Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013
(b) The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013
4. Consideration and passing of the following Bills:
The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2011;
The Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2011;
The Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Bill, 2012;
The Nuclear Safety Regulatory Authority Bill, 2011;
The Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2011;
The Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University Bill, 2013;
The Right to Information (Amendment) Bill, 2013; and
The Piracy Bill, 2012.
5. Consideration and passing of the following Bills, as passed by Rajya Sabha:
The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2013;
The National Waterway (Lakhipur Banga Stretch of Barak River) Bill;
The Registration of Births and Deaths (Amendment) Bill, 2013;
The Parliament (Prevention of Disqualification) Amendment Bill, 2013;
Consideration of amendments made by Rajya Sabha in the Wakf (Amendment) Bill, 2010, as passed by Lok Sabha and as reported by Select Committee of Rajya Sabha. (ANI)