Kolkata, Aug 27: A visually-challenged senior professor here has questioned the central government on the non-inclusion of disabled persons in the recruitment drive initiated for the socially vulnerable.
Samit Kar, 51, teaching at the Presidency University’s sociology department, has written to the union ministry of social justice and empowerment.
Speaking to IANS, Kar said: “I have written a letter to them asking why have the disabled not been included in the recruitment drive for the socially vulnerable. The scheduled castes and tribes have been included in the drive but what about us?”
He added: “This is a result of vote-bank politics. Whenever the government sees some opportunity to gather votes it gets tempted to pay attention. This is the general approach across the country … politicising caste, etc.”
Kar resigned from the Presidency University here after it failed to sanction a special allowance entitled to him.
In the profession for the past 17 years, Kar had earlier brought to the notice of the Disability Commissioner in New Delhi that the varsity was depriving him of the Rs.3,000 per month special allowance since 2011.
After the varsity did not respond to Kar’s repeated pleas, he put in his papers.
He said: “I have a permanent blindness as a result of undetected diabetes and I am entitled to an amount by the UGC (University Grants Commission) which is not being paid by the university (formerly Presidency College).”
He told IANS: “The standard procedure is that UGC doesn’t pay in advance. Initially, the university has to pay from its own coffers. But it has not been done even after I submitted the requisite documents to the varsity as requested. The UGC had issued the university necessary papers to start giving me allowance. But they have been unresponsive.”
In protest, Kar will stop working at the varsity starting Sep 30.
The professor, earlier associated with Presidency College, opted for university teaching and got through the selection interview when the institution was upgraded.
Kar said: “Initially, they gave assurance but later the registrar used to put off my calls and the vice-chancellor also did the same a couple of times in May. This is injustice.”
He also accused the university administration of withholding his conveyance allowance.
He also claimed that the three percent job reservation allowance under the public works department is not being given to him.
However, Presidency University Registrar Prabir Dasgupta said the “information is not correct”.
He told IANS: “We had sanctioned the allowance but he resigned. How will we pay if he resigns? He will get his allowances and other arrears this month.”
Meanwhile, Kar plans to join a government college.
He added: “I have approached Bikash Bhavan (the state higher education department headquarters) and they have assured they will try to secure a post for me in a government college. First, I will have to work there and then they will arrange a suitable post.”