New Delhi, Sep 12: Three people who had kidnapped a nine-year-old boy and demanded Rs.80 lakh for his release have been arrested a month after the incident, police said Thursday.
The accused had released the the child soon after the kidnapping when they realised the police was on their trail.
Mohd Rafiq, 30, Mohd Rahish, 27, and Mohammed Naseem, 22, were arrested Tuesday from north Delhi’s Wazirabad.
“The accused had kidnapped the boy Aug 8 afternoon from east Delhi’s Bhajanpura area when he had gone out for a haircut,” said Sanjeev Kumar Yadav, deputy commissioner of police (special cell).
“Later, the victim’s father received a call on his mobile from the kidnappers who demanded Rs.80 lakh as ransom for the safe release of the child,” said the officer.
However, the kidnappers released the boy as they realised the police was on their trail.
“Since then, the accused were on the run,” Yadav said.