New Delhi, Oct 10: Indian golfer Arjun Atwal said here Thursday that he is unsure about participating at the $1,250,000 Indian Open to be held at the Delhi Golf Club from Nov 7-10.
“I am still not sure about the Indian Open. I will be flying back to Orlando. I have a few personal things to do there. I might get an entry at McGladrey Classic in the PGA Tour. If I do, I will miss the Indian Open, but if I don’t, I will come back and play here. As an Indian, I always want to play at the Indian Open,” the 40-year-old said.
The Florida-based golfer added that 2013 has been the worst season of his career.
“I never had a bad year in my life as a professional golfer. I had just four cuts. I can’t remember when was the last time I had such a slump. Most of the slumps have been mini, I could get a way out. This year, I could not find a way out both mentally and physically,” said Atwal, who was injured earlier in the season.
The Asansol-born Atwal, who became the first Indian to triumph on the PGA Tour by winning the 2010 Wyndham Championship, said that he will make a comeback at Macau Open next week from Oct 17-20, after a six-week lay period.
“Physically I am feeling better. I took about a month and a half off. My last tournament was Wyndham Championship in August. I played the last three tournaments with a herniated disk and missed out on a tournament due to a problem in the left knee.
“I came to Kolkata two weeks back and started practicing. I started to feel a little better but still was not 100 percent. I wanted to play in Korea but pulled out because I can’t play without being prepared. I am now scheduled to play in Macau,” added Atwal.