Washington, Oct 15: A Libyan terrorist suspect captured by the US special forces in Tripoli has been taken to New York for trial, authorities said.
Abu Anas al-Libi was captured by the US special forces during a raid Oct 5. He was reportedly taken to Stewart Air Force base in New York City, for questioning.
Preet Bharara, US attorney of the southern district of New York, said the man was transferred to law enforcement custody in New York over the weekend. He was expected to be arraigned Tuesday, reports Xinhua.
Abu Anas al-Libi was indicted in 2000 by the federal court of New York for 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania which killed 224 people.
The alleged Al Qaeda computer expert has been interrogated by CIA officials for a week aboard USS San Antonio in the Mediterranean.
Libyan authorities demanded clarifications from the US government regarding the abduction of a Libyan citizen on its soil, although the Pentagon claimed they received in advance tacit approval for counter-terrorism operation in Tripoli.
The US operation has sparked a popular outcry in Libya. The brief kidnapping of Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan last week was allegedly linked to the capture of al-Libi.