New Delhi, Nov 5: The external affairs ministry said Tuesday it is in touch with the Nigerian High Commission and the Goa government in the wake of the clash in Panaji over a Nigerian national’s death.
External affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin, in a tweet, said: “We are in touch with the Nigerian High Commission and the Goa government on the subject. Our High Commission in Abuja (Nigeria) is contacting the foreign ministry.”
He also clarified: “No threat has been conveyed in any diplomatic discussions.”
A Nigerian consular official said Monday that thousands of Indians in his country will be “thrown out on the streets” if the police do not stop evicting Nigerians from their homes in Goa, where the government is trying to locate and deport foreigners without valid visas.
Consular attache Jacob Nwadadia Monday told IANS in Panaji: “There are only 50,000 Nigerians living in India but there are over one million Indians living in Nigeria. Thousands of Indians living there will be thrown out on the streets if forcible eviction of Nigerians in Goa does not stop.”
Nigeria has also formally written to the Indian government expressing concerns over the security of its citizens.
Last week, a Nigerian was found dead with stab wounds in the Mapusa town of Panaji, triggering angry protests by a group of 200 Nigerians who blocked a major national highway and clashed with the police and the public.
Over 50 Nigerians were arrested following the violence.