Fixing allegations against Vincent, Cairns, Tuffey

Wellington, Dec 5: Lou Vincent has confirmed that he is one of the three former New Zealand cricketers being investigated by the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) anti-corruption and security unit. The others reportedly involved in the controversy are all-rounder Chris Cairns and fast bowler Daryl Tuffey.

Vincent’s admission comes after New Zealand Herald reported that the three players were under ICC’s investigation for months. Cairns, however, denied that he spoke to anyone from the sport’s governing body.

“I wish to let everyone know that I am cooperating with an ongoing ICC Anti-Corruption investigation that has been made public today,” said Vincent in a statement Thursday. He represented New Zealand in 23 Tests and 102 ODIs.

“This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment.”

“I will personally talk to the public when I am able to. In the meantime I cannot comment. Please respect me and my family’s privacy until such time.”

Cairns who was commentating in the ongoing Test in Dunedin left his work as soon as the allegations surfaced and flew back to Auckland to be with his family.

“I’m unsure. With regards to what’s happened I’ve said I’ve been through a very arduous process in England last year, that’s on record, and I stand by that, and with regards to what’s occurred now, I just like to reiterate the fact that I’ve spoken to no body from any of those anti-corruption or ICC,” Cairns said at the Auckland Airport. He played 62 Tests and 215 ODIS for the Black Caps.

Later in a statement, Cairns said: “Twenty months ago, the High Court in England ruled that I’ve done nothing wrong – which is on record for everyone to see. Like you, I will be looking for answers.”

David White, the CEO of New Zealand Cricket (NZC), confirmed that he was aware of the ICC’s inquiry and the involvement of the former players. He went on to say that the games in questions took place outside New Zealand.

“New Zealand Cricket is aware that the ICC is investigating a small number of New Zealand cricketers,” White told reporters in Dunedin.

“We have been aware of this investigation for a number of months and we are shocked and surprised by the allegations. We support the ICC’s investigation as corruption has no place in our sport.

“However, I would like to clarify a number of matters. No current New Zealand players are being investigated, no games played in New Zealand are being investigated and lastly no matches under NZC jurisdiction are being investigated. This is an ongoing ICC investigation and I simply can’t comment further,” said White.

An ICC statement read: “Following the publication of an article in a leading New Zealand newspaper earlier today in which it is alleged that a small number of former New Zealand cricketers had engaged in fixing activity in historic cricket matches and were being investigated by the ICC’s Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU), the ICC confirms that it has indeed been working closely over the past few months with its colleagues in the domestic anti-corruption units of Member Boards to investigate these and related matters.

“The ICC and all of its Members maintain a zero-tolerance attitude towards corruption in the sport, and the ACSU will continue to collaborate with relevant individuals in order to complete its investigation process.

“Naturally, as the investigation remains ongoing and nobody has been charged with any offence, no further comment will be made by the ICC or by NZC.”

IANS