CSA slams ‘fundamentally flawed’ ICC proposal of control to India, Oz, England

Sydney, Jan 21: Cricket South Africa has reportedly become the first major cricket governing body to urge the ICC to withdraw a draft proposal that would give greater control of the world game to their counterparts in England, Australia and India.

One key proposal is for a four-man executive committee where the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), Cricket Australia (CA) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the three countries that bring most revenue into cricket, would all be guaranteed a place, with the other position selected by the trio annually.

According to News.com.au, CSA president Chris Nenzani published an open letter to ICC president Alan Isaac urging that the ‘fundamentally flawed and unconstitutional’ plan be taken off the table immediately given that the proper procedures have not been followed.

Nenzani further said in his letter that without addressing the merits of the proposal in so far as it concerns constitutional amendments and changes to ICC competitions, these proposals should first be referred to the relevant ICC committees or sub-committees for proper consideration and to make recommendations to the ICC board.

The letter also said that ‘although there is nothing to prevent a review of the ICC funding model or finances, the proposal is inextricably tied up with a fundamental restructuring of the ICC, which has far-reaching constitutional implications’ and as such is in breach of the ICC constitution.

The letter called for a ‘more considered, inclusive/consultative, and properly constitutionally-ordained approach’, the report added. (ANI)