New Delhi, Jan 19: The Delhi Police Sunday lodged an FIR against “unknown” people for creating ruckus during last week’s midnight raid by state Law Minister Somnath Bharti at a house where some African people live. The minister denied the charge.
“A FIR has been registered against unknown accused in Malviya Nagar police station under various charges dealing with wrongful confinement, criminal intimidation and act intended to insult the modesty of a woman,” a police officer said.
According to the police, Metropolitan Magistrate Chetna Singh has ordered registration of a case against unknown people, part of the raid team, led by Bharti.
“However, minister Bharti’s name is not mentioned in the complaint but we will ask the complainant to identify the law minister and others in the video footage,” a police official said.
The minister had reached the house last week following complaints from residents of the area in south Delhi that a prostitution and drug ring was operating from the premises.
Bharti Sunday morning said he had no information about the court order. “I have no idea of any case being registered. If anyone has filed such a case, I will go and present my stand,” he told media.
The minister maintained that the entire episode was recorded on camera and “none of our volunteers touched anyone”.
“No one is paying attention to the impact of drugs on the youth or the rackets that are operating,” he said. He accused the police of complicity in the sex and drug racket.