New Delhi, Jan 9: The Election Commission Thursday decided not to pursue a proposal for a tie-up with Google for better electoral information services in view of concerns raised about possible security implications.
According to a press note issued by the commission Thursday, the proposal would not be pursued further.
“Google made a presentation to the commission for electoral look up services for citizens to help in the efforts of the commission for better electoral information services. However, after due consideration, the commission has decided not to pursue the proposal any further,” the press note said.
The Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party were among the parties that had raised concerns over the proposed tie up, saying that stakeholders should have been consulted, and that the step could have implications for national security.
BJP MP Tarun Vijay, who met Chief Election Commissioner V.S. Sampath over the issue, congratulated the poll panel for the decision.
“I take it as victory of our campaign on the issue,” Vijay said.
He said Google was already facing investigation by police about alleged violation of Indian laws concerning data collection.
Vijay had earlier accused Google of “violating” India’s defence regulations on maps.