Sao Paulo, Jan 29: Star footballer Neymar’s father has admitted to receiving a 10-million euro down payment in 2011 to guarantee his son’s move to Barcelona.
But Neymar Sr denied any irregularities over the forward’s signing with Catalan club in June last year, reports Xinhua.
“I asked Barcelona to drop confidentiality (concerning a contract) so everything was transparent and clean. I don’t owe anything,” Neymar Sr said during a press conference Tuesday.
The comments come less than a week after the resignation of former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell amid claims the Catalan club paid above the disclosed figure and misappropriated funds.
Rosell, who was replaced by Josep Maria Bartomeu, faces a lawsuit initiated by club member Jordi Cases over the allegations.
The transfer cost 57.1 million euros with a two million euro bonus if Neymar is a finalist for the Ballon D’Or award, presented annually to the world’s best player.
In addition, the 21-year-old has been promised an annual salary of 11.3 million euros over five years.
Neymar’s father refuted claims that his company N&N had received 40 million euros after Barcelona allegedly broke an agreement to sign the forward in 2014.
“Neymar could only leave Santos to go to Barcelona. My job was to safeguard and reinforce the gain,” Neymar Sr said.
“I am sure I could have picked up 120 million euros. But it is absurd for people to talk when they don’t know the details and I did not receive 40 million euros in advance.”