New Delhi, Feb 24: A fire broke out Monday within the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) campus here, a fire official said. No one was injured.
The fire broke out inside a room attached to a chemistry lab on the the third floor of a building on the campus in south Delhi.
Much of the lab equipment kept in the room were gutted, said an officer of the Delhi Fire Service.
Chief Fire Officer A.K. Sharma told IANS the fire was confined to a block and five fire tenders brought it under control in half-an-hour.
He also said the building houses other offices, which were vacated.
“We received a call around 11.25 a.m and finished our job at about 12.45 p.m.,” said another officer.
According to eyewitnesses, two to three loud blasts were heard at the time of the fire.
There was panic in the boys’ hostel located next to the building, said a police officer.
Police said short circuit appeared to be the reason behind the fire but they were investigating.