Google ordered to remove anti-Islamic ‘Innocence of Muslims’ from YouTube

Washington, Feb. 27: Google has been reportedly ordered by a US court to remove an anti-Islamic film from its video service, YouTube.

The highly controversial film, ‘Innocence of Muslims,’ has incited international outrage and sparked protests around the world. The video’s surfacing online also coincided with attacks in Bengazi, Libya, in 2012, during which a US ambassador was killed.

According to Cnet, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals court voted for the film to be taken down, saying that it didn’t constitute prior restraint on speech as argued by Google initially.

The lawsuit was originally brought on by Cindy Lee Garcia, who starred in the film and asserted that she had been hired to act in a different film and the footage was used in a movie that was unrecognizable as the one she originally signed on to do.

Garcia claimed that she was able to independently copyright her performance in the film, adding that she had received death threats, and suffered “irreparable harm.”

Her lawyer, Cris Armenta said that the propaganda film differs so radically from anything that Garcia could have imagined when the director told her that she was being cast in the innocent adventure film, the report added. (ANI)