Indian Navy accidents a concern: Antony

New Delhi, Feb 6: Accidents suffered by some Indian Navy vessels over the past few months was a “matter of concern”, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Thursday.

Interacting with the media at Defexpo 14′ here, Antony said he cannot provide “100 percent satisfaction certificate” although standard operating procedures were being largely followed.

Every accident, he added, needed to be probed for corrective action.

Facing a volley of questions on accidents involving vessels and warships, Antony said that the Indian naval assets had substantially risen over a decade and it had become one of the most advanced navies.

“That is why countries want close cooperation (with us). Almost all want joint exercises,” he said.

The navy, the minister said, was seriously studying all the accidents.

“I am told (they are) in the process of taking corrective action. More than you and me, the navy itself is keen to take corrective action and see (that) such accidents (are) minimsed.”

The minister said even one accident was a “serious” matter for him and there was a need to strictly follow standard operating procedures and draw proper lessons.

“By and large (they are) following it… (I) cannot give a 100 percent satisfaction certificate.”

The navy has faced criticism over a series of recent accidents.

Its submarine INS Sindhurakshak was engulfed by fire on Aug 13-14 night last year.

Official sources said INS Talwar, a frigate, collided with a fishing vessel in December. And INS Betwa, also a frigate, suffered damage in its critical component.

Antony said the navy was acquiring new warships every year. He said there was a need to be careful and take corrective action after every accident.

IANS