Kolkata, Feb 22: A medical intern died in the state-run SSKM hospital here Saturday after suspected drug overdose, an official said.
Two interns were found in critical state in the hospital hostel Saturday morning and admitted to the Intensive Care Unit, said SSKM Hospital director Pradip Mitra.
“We learnt from some students that two interns were critically ill. They were both admitted to the ICU. One of the interns, who was in a very serious condition, was put on ventilator support, but died despite all efforts to revive him,” Mitra said.
The other intern is also on ventilator, and very critical.
“We don’t know the exact reason. But we have learnt from their friends that there is a suspicion it could be a case of drug overdose,” Mitra added.
SSKM is the largest state-run hospital in West Bengal.