Shinde hints at conducting probe in Samjhauta Express blast case

New Delhi, Feb.6:Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Thursday hinted at conducting a probe in the Samjhauta Express blast case after allegations surfaced about RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s alleged involvement in the attack that killed 68 people, mostly Pakistani nationals, in February 2007.

The accusations were levelled after a magazine published audio tapes and transcripts of an interview with Indian monk Swami Aseemanand, in which he allegedly blames Bhagwat for playing a role in the Samjhauta Express (Attari Express) bi-weekly train attack, the Hyderabad Mecca Masjid and the Ajmer Dargah blasts in 2007.

Shinde said: “Now let us see in the matter, if they have revealed it then their must be some truth.”

Earlier in 2011, the National Investigative Agency had filed its charge sheet against Aseemanand and four others, but the NIA officials could not prove charges against him.

Meanwhile, RSS leader M.G. Vaidya dismissed the allegations, saying there was no authenticity.

“These are all imaginary and incorrect statements. This is not the job of Sangh and Sangh would never do something like that and Sangh organising a bomb blast is impossible,” said Vaidya.

Doubting the veracity of the magazine’s interview with Aseemanand, who is currently lodged in Ambala Central Jail, the RSS dubbed the interview as “rubbish and concocted”.

Two homemade bombs exploded aboard a train bound from India to Pakistan burning to death at least 64 passengers in 2007.

Most of the victims were Pakistanis but included some Indians. Two other unexploded homemade bombs were also found on the train and the track.

The Samjhauta Express was carrying around 527 passengers. The dead included three railway policemen.

Samjhauta is Hindi for understanding or agreement. The rail link was restored in 1976, but severed again after an attack on New Delhi’s parliament in late 2001. It started up again in 2004. (ANI)