Cairo, March 30 (IANS/EFE) At least 10 people were killed and 37 suffered injuries Saturday in an accidental explosion of several barrels of gasoline at a private home in Sohag province, the interior ministry said.
The incident occurred in an Egyptian village.
Emergency management crews managed to control the blaze and stopped the flames from spreading to adjacent dwellings.
Preliminary investigations indicate that the owner of the house stored gasoline at home to sell on the black market at a good profit, the ministry said in a statement. The fire broke out in one of the containers he was preparing for sale.
When neighbours ran over to help put out the fire, the deadly explosion went off because the flames had spread to the individual’s gasoline storeroom inside the house.