Bahrain arrests 25 suspects of bomb attack

Manama, March 5: Bahrain has arrested 25 suspects in connection with Monday’s bomb attack that killed three policemen, Xinhua reported citing an interior ministry statement.

A remotely detonated bomb exploded Monday night in the Daih village, west of the capital Manama, killing three policemen including an Emirati officer.

“These terror acts are premeditated murder and represent a lack of humanity,” Bahrain’s interior ministry said. It announced that 25 suspects have so far been arrested.

The authorities are still investigating to identify any further suspects, suggesting foreign links behind the attack.

“We have announced publicly that foreign training sessions were organised and hosted at Iranian Revolutionary Guard camps that operated with official backing,” the ministry said, adding that the explosives confiscated were from Iraq.

Bahrain has long accused its eastern neighbour of interference. Last month, Bahrain accused Iran’s leaders of inciting anti-government protests in the kingdom.

Bahrain’s cabinet held an extraordinary meeting Tuesday to discuss the violence in the Daih village.

The interior minister briefed the cabinet about the deadly blast, leading the cabinet to mandate the ministry to combat terrorism.

The cabinet also designated the Feb 14 Youth Coalition, Ashtar Brigades and Resistance Brigades, and any other groups related or allied with them, as terrorist groups, ordering their dissolution and arrest of their members.

IANS