Dhoni files defamation suit against TV channels, claims Rs.100 crores in damages

Chennai, Mar.18: Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni filed defamation suits against two television channels before the Madras High Court on Tuesday, for suggesting that he was involved in an Indian Premier League (IPL) betting and fixing scam.

The defamation suits have been filed against Zee News and News Nation respectively.

Dhoni is claiming Rs.100 crore damages from four defendants to be paid jointly and severally by them for allegedly telecasting “malicious” news that he was involved in betting, spot and match fixing of IPL matches.

Madras High Court judge Mr. Justice S. Tamilvanan said in his order: “I am of the view that there is a prima facie case and the balance of convenience is also in favour of the plaintiff. Hence, interim injection granted for a period of two weeks.”

He issued notices to defendants Zee Media Corporation Limited, Zee News Editor and Business Head Sudhir Chaudary, IPS officer G Sampath Kumar (who initially probed the IPL betting scam) and News Nation Network Private Limited.

In his suit, Dhoni said the defendants had been carrying highly defamatory, scandalous and libellous false reports and statements since February 11, 2014.

He opined that the sole agenda of the defendants was to malign and destroy his reputation in the eyes of his fans and cricket lovers all over the world. (ANI)