New Delhi, Mar. 24: The National Human Rights Commission has taken suo motu cognizance of media reports that seven workers of a private dyeing unit located in the Erode Industrial Complex of State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu died of asphyxiation and several others were taken ill on the 18th March, 2014 after inhaling toxic gas from a waste treatment tank.
Reportedly, the incident took place when a mechanic went inside the tank to work on a faulty pump, but he fell as he was climbing down. Others followed him for his rescue and fell prey to the toxic gas.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the report, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of the victims and issued a notice to the Chief Secretary, Government of Tamil Nadu, calling for report within four weeks. He has also been directed to inform whether any interim relief has been provided to the next of kin of the deceased workers. (ANI)