Porto Alegre risks World Cup exclusion: Mayor

Porto Alegre (Brazil), March 25: Porto Alegre’s Beira-Rio stadium could be removed from the FIFA World Cup schedule due to a funding impasse, the city’s mayor has warned.

Construction work on the stadium is almost complete but concern surrounds temporary structures that still need to be installed to meet the requirements of football’s governing body FIFA, reports Xinhua.

“It’s a World Cup bottleneck – a difficult situation,” Jose Fortunati told Radio Gaucho Monday night.

According to Fortunati, a bill that guarantees tax-breaks for suppliers of temporary structures must be passed Tuesday.

“If the vote isn’t passed we won’t have the World Cup in Porto Alegre,” Fortunati said. “There is no Plan B, C or Z.”

Beira-Rio was officially opened last month but still lacks structures for media and sponsors while a large area outside the stadium remains unpaved.

The venue in Brazil’s south will host five World Cup matches, including games involving France, the Netherlands and Argentina.

Stadiums in Sao Paulo, Manaus, Curitiba and Cuaiba have also caused FIFA concern due to unfinished construction work ahead of the June 12-July 13 event.

IANS