Beijing, March 21: A day after over 30 kindergarten students showed symptoms of food poisoning and even two children died of it, Chinese authorities said the incident was caused due to rat poison.
Tetramine, a banned neurotoxic rodenticide, caused the food poisoning that killed two children at a kindergarten in Yunnan province, authorities said Thursday.
Investigators found the toxic substance in snacks brought to Jiajia Kindergarten by a student who shared the food with other children, Xinhua quoted Zhao Minjian, a local government official as saying.
Specimen checks showed school meals were safe, said Zhao.
Thirty-two children showed symptoms of food poisoning Wednesday afternoon. Of the seven in critical condition, two girls, aged four and five, died and five others are recovering.
Most of the ill have been discharged from hospital.