New Delhi, April 19: Delhi Police Saturday filed a chargesheet against Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his accomplice Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case.
The fresh set of charges was filed before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash against the duo alleging that Bhatkal was instructed by Pakistan-based handlers to carry out attacks just before the beginning of the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
Police said the conspiracy for the attack was hatched to “dissuade foreign nations from participating in the same (CWG) and to portray the image of India, the host nation, as a weak and disturbed nation”.
In pursuance to the conspiracy, Bhatkal procured one carbine and a pistol and the initial plan was to target foreigners, the chargesheet said.
“All the accused people then conspired together and decided that a terror attack be carried out in Delhi on the occasion of the anniversary of the Batla House encounter Sep 19, 2010. It was decided that foreign tourists near Jama Masjid would be randomly shot and a secondary bomb blast will be executed,” the chargesheet said.
The Indian Mujahideen operatives were chargesheeted under various sections of the Indian Penal Code including attempt to murder and criminal conspiracy, and various provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Arms Act.
The court will take up the matter April 30 for further hearing.
Bhatkal, arrested in August last year near the Nepal border, is accused of being involved in various terror strikes in the country.