Johannesburg, Apr 8: Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has reportedly been named by the ICC as the skipper of the Team of the Tournament for the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh.
The team, which includes four players from India, two from both South Africa and West Indies, and one representative each from Australia, Netherlands and Sri Lanka, is chosen by a select group of experts and was aimed at being suited for Bangladesh conditions, on the basis of performances in the tournament only
According to Sport24, member of the elite panel of ICC match referees, David Boon, who is the chairperson of the selection panel, said that it was a difficult task for the panel to pick a team of 11 from the players featuring in the tournament, adding that some of the best players in world cricket had to be left out of the team.
ICC World Twenty20 Bangladesh 2014 Team of the Tournament (in batting order):
1. Rohit Sharma (India) – 200 runs
2. Stephan Myburgh (Netherlands) – 224 runs
3. Virat Kohli (India) – 319 runs
4. JP Duminy (South Africa) – 187 runs
5. Glenn Maxwell (Australia) – 147 runs
6. MS Dhoni (India – captain, wicketkeeper) – 50 runs, six dismissals
7. Darren Sammy (West Indies) – 101 runs
8. Ravichandran Ashwin (India) – 11 wickets
9. Dale Steyn (South Africa) – nine wickets
10. Samuel Badree (West Indies) – 11 wickets
11. Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka) – five wickets
12. 12th player: Krishmar Santokie (West Indies) – eight wickets (ANI)