Indian among four charged for negligence in resturant blast

Doha, April 15: An Indian man was among four people charged with dereliction of duty that caused gas explosion in a Turkish restaurant in the Qatari capital and led to the death of 11 people, leaving 35 injured here, media reported Tuesday.

The Indian, whose name was not mentioned in the report, was working as a supervisor in a local restaurant, where the explosion occurred Feb 27 , the Gulf Times reported citing local Arabic daily Arrayah.

The other accused comprised an Egyptian, working as a general supervisor at the Qatar Gas Group, and two Turkish men — a baker and an accountant at the restaurant.

The Public Prosecution charged them with dereliction of duties. The severe gas explosion also damaged nearby buildings and vehicles.

The Indian worker has been accused of negligence in informing to the Qatar’s gas company, Woqod, about the ongoing maintenance work in the restaurant. The man did not ensure compliance with the required standards and safety regulations.

The four suspects have been detained until the criminal court takes up the case, the report said.

Besides killing five Indians, the explosion also injured more than a dozen Indian nationals.

A fire expert at the interior ministry was of the view that the fire and explosion happened due to an ignition of the leaked gas from an electric spark coming from an electrical equipment in the restaurant. The Egyptian has been charged with negligence for connecting the restaurant apparatuses with the new gas line without any check-up of the maintenance works and without the issuance of an accomplishment certificate by the parties concerned.