Two killed in Delhi old age home fire

New Delhi, April 4: At least two people were killed and two others suffered minor burn injuries in a fire at an old age home here early Friday, said a fire service officer.

The home with about 150 homeless people — including senior citizens and mentally challenged people, among others — was engulfed in a blaze around 2.30 a.m.

A police officer said an NGO Earth Saviours Foundation was running the makeshift home of tents in the area for over five years.

“At least 14 fire tenders fought the blaze which was finally doused by 5.30 a.m. At least 10 tents were destroyed,” said the fire officer.

Initial inquiry suggests short circuit was the reason behind the fire and it ignited after an explosion in a cooking gas cylinder.

“Ramesh, 60, and Poonam, 27, were found burnt to death while Ram Singh, 50, and John, 55, suffered minor burn injuries,” said the police officer.

Ramesh was reportedly mentally challenged while Poonam was not able to move properly because of a disability in both her legs, he added.

“After the fire, at least 20 people living in the home left the place.

“Those residing there have been given shelter in an open park and in the remaining tents,” said the police officer.

IANS