Mamata unhurt after fire breaks out in her hotel room

Kolkata, April 17: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had a close shave when a fire broke out in her hotel room in Malda district Thursday evening. She was evacuated in time and is safe, party leaders said.

“She was in the room when the fire broke…She is safe,” tweeted Trinamool national spokesperson Derek O’Brien.

Banerjee, who was in Malda for the election campaign, had stayed at a private hotel called Golden Park in Narayanpur.

“The AC in her room got overheated and smoke started to come out. Luckily it was detected early and she was evacuated.

“She is safe now. Her room has been changed,” said state Tourism Minister Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury.

The incident happened at between 6 and 7 p.m.

Banerjee earlier in the day addressed three election meetings in the district.

Left Front chairman Biman Bose expressed concern at the incident. Leader of the Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra called up state Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee and enquired about Banerjee’s health.

IANS