Three minor girls suffer accidental burns

New Delhi, April 16: Three minor schoolgirls Wednesday received burn injuries on their private parts when they accidentally used acid in the washroom thinking it was water, police said. Their condition is said to be stable.

The incident took place in East Delhi’s Seemapuri area.

The girls are students of Sarvodaya Vidyalaya and below eight years of age.

During school hours, the girls who are in different classes went to the washroom.

Finding no water in the washroom, they saw a can filled with some liquid and poured the liquid in mugs to use after attending the call of nature, police said.

The girls used the liquid to wash their private parts. Unfortunately, the liquid was acid and the girls received severe burn injuries on their private parts, hands and lower back, said a police official.

They started screaming and their teachers immediately rushed them to the Guru Teg Bahadur hospital.

All three victims are undergoing treatment and their condition is said to be stable.

Police were informed about the incident by hospital staff. The girls’ family members said the school authorities were forcing them not to approach police. A case of negligence has been lodged against the school, the official said.

IANS