Surat, May 12: At least 30 people were injured while 10 others were critical after a gas cylinder blasts in a factory in Surat on Monday.
Municipal Commissioner D.K. Das said the fire broke out due to a short circuit which resulted in a subsequent explosion of a gas cylinder.
“This morning at around 11a.m a fire broke out in a scrap godown due to a short circuit. The people came over here to see what had happened, why smoke is coming out of the factory. So they opened the gate and unfortunately as the gate opened a gas cylinder exploded. And all the people who had gathered around in the spot have suffered burn injuries, and we have shifted them to the Civil Hospital. We are going through the building if any further issues need to be reported. Our main concern is to get the injured well treated” said Das.
The impact of the blast was so powerful that the surrounding walls of the godown collapsed.
Debris were scattered all over the godown. The damage is estimated to be quite extensive.
The Injured have been admitted in the Civil Hospital and are undergoing treatment for burn injuries.
Further details of the incident are awaited. (ANI)